Bombay Gujju: New York, NY

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

J4W

After weeks of working on this Roche drug Pegasys, and putting together the whole presentation by Thursday, only to find out that the presentation had been postponed to the end of July, I think I needed a break. And fortunately for me, Jul 4 was just around the corner.
With no major plans for that weekend (outside of walking the dog), I was all ready to settle in and clean the house and get some errands done that I've been meaning to do for the longest time. Then, randomly, on Saturday morning, while I was helping Marie out in organizing her dresser, bhai calls and asks me to get ready.
So, in the next hour, I managed to get ready, packed and sort out Marie's dresser and head to Connecticut with bhai and Leta to visit Vidya and Mark's house in Groton, CT. In customary tradition, we did have a barbequeue with batata vadas (Indian fried potato things), mint lamb kababs and some good ol' chipotle style bbq chicken on a beach near his house. Initially the plan was to 'pich pich' (the sound made by splashing around in the water) in the sea and then eat - but we were so hungry that we reversed the order of events. For all those uncles who told me I should never go in the water after eating : I didn't throw up - In fact, I had a great time.
We reached home all sandy (my brother drove home in a towel - with nothing underneath bec he didn't want to wet his seat - which made him look very mallu), showered and then just chilled out over lousy Mango margarita-type drinks (which I tried to make combining pulp, tequila and cointreau).
Sunday was more exciting - all we did was relax, listen to hindi music and watch the Wimbeldon men's finals (which was very boring - Federer beat Roddick in 3 sets - no drama). Then bec I was committed to walking the dog, I took the train back while the rest enjoyed lamb chop kababs and bancal (strange, yet spicy goan sauce) burger patties. I, on the other hand, reached home and watched chashme baddur - a hindi movie which Navneet had told me about 1000 times, and it was strictly ok - no great shakes. But I do admit, the "Miss Chamko" part was a little funny.
On Monday, after lunch with my cousin who moved into the city from New Haven and his very preggie wife on the UES, I chilled out in the park to get some sun, and then headed to my RI friend Cyrus' cocktail party at the east side trump tower for a fabulous view of the Jul 4 fireworks. Of course, I was drunk in 10 minutes and was bonding with a 27 year old abcd virgin punjabi from east brunswick who reminded me intensely of Plumpika.
But in all, it was fantastic. God bless America...for giving us a 4 day weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home