Bombay Gujju: New York, NY

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Jackson Diner

So, the buffet was actually $8.95 (and not $5.95 as mentioned in the earlier post - damn those desi scoundrels!!). The lunch was alright, nothing great - went with expectations of desi chinese, but ended up eating dosa instead. *sigh* I miss eating chilli prawn dry with roti at leo's listening to Kavandaa and Shaggu yak about life.

So anyway, we did a pre and post lunch stroll around Jackson to investigate the true desi character of Jackson. My results : Falooda Kulfi ice cream at only one Subzi Mandi (out of the 5 in the 2 bock radius), a mannequin with a balding wig, overpriced DVD stores selling "Love Beats : Romantic Bollywood" type DVDs, and the distinct lack of a smell of methi. The end product : failed! Jersey is ten times more Indian and more authentic, with dirtier streets, smelly aunties, and most importantly, no dearth of 'the smell'. The next time I want a cheap imitation, I'll just go to Baluchi's!

Quote of the day :
"Have you met this guy Aneesh? Yea, he's so cute - but he's gay! So sad!! Yea, even I was surprised to know that there were actually Indian gay men - haven't you seen Bend it Like Bekham?"

- said by Finale (yup, thats her name) Patel - my pseudo stalker (She seems to know everything about me, even though I've met her probably only once).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home