Bombay Gujju: New York, NY

Monday, August 08, 2005

Vegetable Bheja Fry

So, since I moved my big 21" TV last week from my old Jersey City apartment, I spent the major part of the week hunting craigs (been watching it like a hawk - refreshing every 15 minutes while at work) for a DVD player - and I finally found a good bargain on Saturday. The DVD player, which originally cost $100 was a year old, and was being sold by some guy in the WV for $40. Of course, being the cheap ass gujju that I am, I flashed my 'poor grad student' card and got it down to $25.

It's an AMW DVD player, which is about the size (width, depth and height) of a regular 3 subject notebook - only, it weighs lighter. The added bonus, I discovered when I reached home, was that it is region free and can play all my region 4 Bombay-bought Bollywood DVDs. Woo hoo!

So on saturday night I trekked all the way to Astoria, Queens (I've become such a manhatter elitist - shame shame) to go to Nikhiel's house where he invited us (the Bianc-constrictor and me) for dinner. I was expecting some delish mangalorian fish curry, but he had just gotten back from tennis when I reached. So we ended up making Okra and 2 chicken curries from packet mixes.

Binny got her 'maal' , and not to take any chances to enjoy the good meal we came for, we smoked up before dinner (empty stomach and beer buzzed). In half an hour we were so stoned that even the overcooked chicken and curry (where the oil separated) tasted good. And there was pecan pie for desert - I ate a whole quarter of it with vanilla ice cream..mmm...pecan pie.

On Sunday, I immersed myself in the pleasure of my new TV (I get TBS - woo hoo!) and my newly acquired DVD player(saw the Miyazaki anime Spirited Away which was pretty darn good).

It'd been so long since I sat in front of the TV that I actually missed the feeling of being brain fired in front of bad reruns and awful TV movies.

*sigh* I remember my days in Bombay where I vegetated for many a day in front of the telly watching cheesy bollywood songs and hindi/urdu subtitled hollywood films on Star Movies. It's just not the same in this country...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home