Bombay Gujju: New York, NY

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Instant bad-karma

So my luck has begun to fade out. First, my column which I was so looking forward to may not actually come through in the way that I intended. The DNA team back in Bombay has decided to drop the 'youth' page, and want me to do either a 'art and drama' or 'books and music' column.

In either case, there are so many cultural differences between the two countries that they rarely spark interest in your average Indian reader. In my reply to Farhad, I wrote " Why would your local train Lalita be interested in an Andy Warhol retrospective going on at the MoMa, when it's never going to reach her? And I'd have to spend 200 (of a 400 word column) explaining the cultural significance of Andy Warhol!"

Still awaiting his reply, but not really thrilled about not having to write my fun Bombay-boy-in-New-York take on things. I'm neither an art and drama critic, nor am I a literary or musical expert. Bollywood fanatic perhaps, but not really the epitome of "culture vultures."

And then there's the work woes. This big presentation that my boss wanted me to go on, might not actually include me in it. I mean, I will be working on the presentation, and do the major part of the grunt work, but I don't think I'll be physically going to meet with the Roche execs. Well, this one at least I kind of expected. My boss has a reputation of saying things in the heat of the moment, and so has been telling me for the last two weeks that I will be going. But according to the other employees, it's not really that professional to take an intern with you to the pitch (which is understandable, since I have neither the MD/PhD behind my name, nor the experience). And even though nothing has been set in stone on this one, I have a funny feeling that I won't end up going.

And I didn't get laid on the weekend - inspite of dressing up really slutty and hanging out at all the hip gay pickup joints.

*sigh*

I'm going to die a bald, single, bitter, man with a flat bald head! (Seriously people, you could iron shirts on the back of my head!)

Life sucks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home