Bombay Gujju: New York, NY

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Summer in Kenya

Of the 15 odd days that I'm to be in Bombay, 5 will be in Kenya. Which leaves me 10 days in Bombay (give or take). My dad is getting a sponsored trip courtesy some pharmaceutical company, and they have graciously allowed me to stow away. I'm not really sure where we're going outside of the fact that we're based in Nairobi. This is pretty exciting news, considering my favorite Rhode Island roomie Naina was born and raised in Nairobi - so will have her family as local guides to suggest where to go and eat. I'll be there May 6-11, and I'm quite looking forward to the trip.

I'm not really sure how it's going to be when I go back. Navneet went back in the summer and said things were exactly the same - but it's been 2 years for me, and I have only a handful of friends left there. The last time I was there, I felt that I had very little in common with them - and that was after living in Rhode Island where I was detached from the real world. After living in New York, which is abreast with global politics, intellectual conversations and leftist ideals - I'm not sure how I'm going to react when faced with staunch conservatives like the family elders. Anyway, at least there'll be good food :). Which is something I'm definitely looking forward to.

In other news, I'm thinking of volunteering at the LGBT center - what with so much free time on my hands. This way perhaps I'll manage to get a few phone numbers as well. We shall see - will drop in tomorrow/day after and check it out.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home