Bombay Gujju: New York, NY

Monday, June 20, 2005

Jersey Boy

So, I set off this weekend to visit the brother, who lives in New Brunswick, NJ. Now this, for me, is not an extraordinary event. Every two - three weeks, I take a virtually empty bag (which comes back filled with food) and make the 45 minute commute. Then, part of the formula, my brother keeps two indian cook books in the car. I'm supposed to go through them, pick 2 dishes (no meat, no potatoes - my brother's ridiculous diet) while we drive to the Indian store. While I'm at the store, I pick up the groceries we need (brother dearest pays) and we head back home to begin the marathon cooking session (which lasts about 3-4 hours).

But this time was different. We detoured to get the car's tires changed, pick up a tv, a pot and a microwave from a chinese lady's garage sale. And a whopping 12-cup food processor (oooh yeah!) from wal mart.

We were done (literally and figuratively) by around 10, after which we feasted on really really really greasy chicken makhanwalla (aka butter chicken) and methi aloo from sunshine, a local fast food indian joint.

Sunday morning, I got up bright and early at 5am because I was getting a ride to the city - my brother was running the 8k prostate cancer run. So, grumbling and morning mooded, I got into the car and we drove to the city with a couple of bhai's friends.
Here's the deal - for people who aren't morning people, NEVER go to a morning marathon registration. Loud music, cheerful people - man, if I had a machine gun...!!

In any case, I waited till they finished the marathon - and got a free greek meal in the bargain (because I was the good abused younger sibling baby sitting the bags - man, I milk the younger sibling thing so much, I should get an oscar for it!!)

In any case, got back home and then worked on my stupid final paper which is due Thursday. (ugH!)
This is the week from hell for me - I have this paper due on Thursday, my slides for the Roche presentation are due on Tuesday and I'm doing the Chase Corporate Challenge on Wednesday (but that one i'm looking forward to) !!

But on the bright side - my Nonie and her german boyfriend will be here on Thursday - after which it's PARTY TIME and GAY PRIDE!!! WOOHOO!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home